Hi, I am confused between MS SQL cumulative update & Service pack-
(1) When we upgrade Service pack from lower to higher then what happen exactly, Does all cumulative will update with higher service pack?
(2) What happen when we upgrade service pack 2 to direct 4 and skip 3?
(3) What cumulative update contain, It contain only one phase of service pack or something else?
asked Oct 26, 2011 at 11:14 PM in Default
1) Service Packs generally contain all cumulative updates since the last service pack - for specific information check the MS support page for that particular SP, it will list what it includes. Service Packs also add extra functionality/features.
2) In most cases you can skip service packs like that as SP4 would contain all the updates since RTM. Sometimes however there are dependency paths, again these will be documented on the relevant SP support page.
3) Cumulative updates contain fixes for a number of bugs/issues. It is advised that you only apply cumulative updates if you are experiencing the issues that are directly fixed.
answered Oct 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM
Kev Riley ♦♦