I installed SQLExpress 2012 with advanced services on my new Win 8.1 laptop. Since windows update is allowed to update all microsoft products, SP2 was installed also. After the update, i noticed 2 strange things: 1) SQL Agents appears in the configuration manager (not able to start) 2) Reporting about number of logical and physical CPU is changed (screwed up). The laptop has an 'AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics' which was identified as 1 physical en 4 logical CPUs. Now it's 0 Physical and 1 logical CPUs. (no bugfix found on CU1) Any ideas? I thought service packs are supported on Express...
I'm getting confused. Yesterday, I thought I discovered why the logical/physical CPU count was getting wring results (I thought I made a calculation error). However, according to the [microsoft documentation], my calculation was ok. This is what I get when querying the 2 columns (including some additional info): ![alt text] this is what msinfo32 is reporting: ![alt text] :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175048.aspx : /storage/temp/1641-capture.png : /storage/temp/1642-capture2.png
FYI: answer on microsoft forum below. Seems this CPU is a stacked physical CPU in 1 socket. Wilfred, Just for your information, the sys.dm_os_sys_info DMV is not always correct for those columns. [For Example]. Your processor is an A6-6310 which is a single socket with 4 physical cores. It does NOT support hyper threading, so all cores are physical execution units and not logical execution units. Since it doesn't support hyper-threading the physical cores were stuffed in that column. You have 4 processors on a single socket, the DMV and SSMS are correct. Sean Gallardy | Blog | Microsoft Certified Master :